Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam jim beam is offline

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

jim beam wrote:

jim beam wrote:

if it's just a two-layer board, maybe. assuming you get the specs on
the chips of course. but you'll need more than two units and a whole
lot of patience trying to reverse the schematic if it's 4 or more
layers. and you still don't achieve anything more than having a broken
light bulb in your hand.

what you need to do is get the operational capacities of the /working/
unit, and work with those. that the unit is a black box is completely
irrelevant.

Yawn. I worked with 16 layer boards at a factory troubleshooting
defective, new boards that cost over $8,000 to stuff.

fantastic. could you condescend to help these guys wit their project
then? or are you just here to whang your donger around?

No, I'm not like you. I have worked in Electronics for 52 years. I
could draw the schematics, but I would need a handful of bad modules and
the time to do it right. Just like the kU band microwave audio, video,
and data terminal hardware I worked on that's in orbit aboard the ISS.
It takes hands on effort to reverse engineer a design.

so what you're saying is that you're just here to **** and moan because
you know how to help, but won't.

and credentials don't work on usenet - they're completely uncheckable
and many are bogus. what matters is whether you can walk the talk.

as for having stuff in orbit, i don't have anything, but two of my best
friends do. the difference between them and you is that they're not
jaded and they're actually helpful.

Bomarc has reverse engineered a lot of automotive modules:

http://www.bomarc.org/basement/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6&sid=8ee707756ef37b24ff5aa633 f1b4548a

The one you want might be on their lists.

that at least is vaguely useful, but you could have come up with that 20
posts ago.

--
fact check required