Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How many clamps?

"dadiOH" wrote:

Given the usefulness of plywood and the ugliness of the edges, the
ability to glue solid wood to the edges should be cultivated. It
isn't hard either; all you need is...

1. smooth, square edges on both ply and wood

2. sufficient glue

3. sufficient pressure to hold them together until the glue dries.

Your previous failure may have been due to any or all of the above
but I'm thinking the most likely is insufficient glue. You don't
want so much that gobs squeeze out but enough to get a line of
roughly pin head sized globules.

All in all, much easier to apply than to trim flush.

IMHO, exposed raw plywood edges are like ugly on an ape.

I prefer to band plywood visible edges with an interlocked tongue
and groove glued joint as follows:

(Think of tongue and groove construction used with wooden siding
of years ago.)

Assume a 3/4" plywood and a visible 3/4" solid wood edge.

Run a 1/4" x 9/32" deep dado centered on the 3/4" plywood edge.

Starting with a 1" x 3/4" solid wood piece, cut a 1/4" thick x 1/4"
long
tenon centered on the 3/4" solid wood piece.

(This yields a 3/4" x 3/4" solid wood band when assembled.)

The assembled edge banding yield a 33% increase in the gluing area of
the final joint (3/4"^2 vs, 1"^2) as well as creating a 3/4" vertical
interlock of solid wood.

Quick, low cost, and strong like bull.

The biggest PITA of the whole process is making sure the wood is flush
with the plywood after assembly, IMHO.

BTW, have used rubber bands and a dowel pin as clamps while the glue
dries. Surgical tubing also works.

Lew