Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default locking collar

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message ...
I need to remove a pair of 2" diameter bearings on pillow blocks.

Way back when my sprayer was built, they put the locking collar on the
inside. That way, a farmer wouldn't take it apart!

Any suggestions on releasing the locking collar on a bearing when its
hard to get at? Other than the smoke wrench.

I just gave up for the day and let it soak in kroil over night.

Some of them have a spherical outer race, you need to first remove the shaft and then rotate the bearing in the spherical housing bore till it's aligned with the "keys" (which are located on only one side of the housing) at which point the bearing will basically fall out.

http://web.tradekorea.com/upload_fil...203_UCP218.JPG