Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extended warranty (EW)

On Mar 26, 10:49*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 17:10:17 -0500, Vic Smith

wrote:
The extra 3 bills ****ed me off, and my "peace of mind" suffered.
Suffered enough that I went on the internet and looked for complaints.
There were plenty, and I read my contract thoroughly and found way too
many loopholes.
My "peace of mind" disappeared.
I canceled the warrantee today. *State law says max charge for
cancellation within 30 days is $50. *So I wasted $50.
But I feel better, and once again have "peace of mind."

Good for you. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I can only recall one car in
the past 20 years that had more than $1500 in repairs. *If I put aside
that warranty money, I'd have a good chunk of the car paid when I buy
the next one.

I haven't spent that amount on any one repair either. But I
know people who have. But the thing most people who buy
these warranties fail to compute, is that the warranty only
covers certain items and explicitly excludes a lot of other
things. So, you could still have an expensive repair bill and
it may not be covered. Which is why I think if you take a
self insurance approach to it, you're better off. If you keep
the $1500 you have it and you can use it for any major
repair.