Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

In article ,
Bimmer Owner wrote:
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:04:51 -0400, tm wrote:

Here is the Elmos 10901D chip of my FSU as I cut it open today.

Are those the two transistors sitting on top?

Actually, it's the same transistor, which broke in half while
I was attempting to get the black rubber eraser stuff off of it
to read the numbers.

It's really going to be HARD to read those numbers now...

Okay, there is a TO-220 package that is split open there, with the
backplate on the right and the cover on the left. Can you chip off
enough of the araldite from the cover to be able to read the numbers
on it?

Or, could you get a good picture of the die which is left on the piece
on the right? We might be able to identify it with a sharp photo of the die...
although from what I can see from the fuzzy photo it does not look like a
very happy die.

If it is actually a MOSFET it will look like this:
http://www.panix.com/~kludge/fet1.jpg

(That's a package that is a little bigger than the TO-220, but you can still
see the channel down the middle of the FET and the overheating damage to the
source.... the three leads have been torn off in the unpotting process though.)
--scott