Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default How many clamps?

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:42:11 -0500, -MIKE-
My second is wet wood-- the pine, maybe. Silly question, but was
either product pressure treated in any way? Was the pine recycled
from another project and treated with any kind of finish or solvent?

Nothing pressure treated or finished in any way ~ at least before the
glue dried and then I applied a Minwax stain and finish.

It occurred to me that the glue I applied didn't adhere well to the
layers of wood already glued together with the plywood. Or maybe,
just really poor quality plywood. In any event, it was a number of
years ago that I last worked on this and I haven't tried a similar
construction since.

Maybe it's time to try again, if only for information's sake.

Given the usefulness of plywood and the ugliness of the edges, the ability
to glue solid wood to the edges should be cultivated. It isn't hard either;
all you need is...

1. smooth, square edges on both ply and wood

2. sufficient glue

3. sufficient pressure to hold them together until the glue dries.

Your previous failure may have been due to any or all of the above but I'm
thinking the most likely is insufficient glue. You don't want so much that
gobs squeeze out but enough to get a line of roughly pin head sized
globules.

All in all, much easier to apply than to trim flush.

--

dadiOH