Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Extended warranty (EW)

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:46:18 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Now, just last week, I bought a 2003 Impala with 49k miles on it.
The dealer offered a 5 year 60k powertrains warranty for $1504.
It's a solid GM endorsed warranty that will be honored.
Adds 19% to the cost of the car.
I bought it. Won't bore you with what I know about that powertrains,
but I know enough that I figure the 82 cents a day I'm paying is worth
the "peace of mind" I'm buying with my main car.

Retraction. Though the dealership has a good rep, and I'm pretty sure
the would squeeze the warrantee company hard, it's not "GM endorsed."
It's a Fidelity Carefree Car Care Warrantee.
Not a GM backed extended warrantee like the one I had put to good use
on my Celebrity 22 years ago.
Anyway, I actually read the warrantee contract after I posted the
above.
First off, it cost $1804, not $1504.. Thing is, I remember seeing
$1504 specifically when I pushed the finance guy to just give me the
total warrantee cost when he was giving me different finance monthly
payments with different terms and different warrantee plans.
I didn't care about the financing. I already knew it was 5% simple
interest with Chase, no prepay penalty, and that it would be paid off
early.
I wanted to know the powertrain warranty cost. He wrote it on a piece
of scrap paper he never let go of. Of course he kept that, but I
remember $1504 because I did a daily cost calc in my head.
You can figure that out. I can't prove it.
Anyway, I signed that with all the other paperwork without reading
anything. My bad.
The extra 3 bills ****ed me off, and my "peace of mind" suffered.
Suffered enough that I went on the internet and looked for complaints.
There were plenty, and I read my contract thoroughly and found way too
many loopholes.
My "peace of mind" disappeared.
I canceled the warrantee today. State law says max charge for
cancellation within 30 days is $50. So I wasted $50.
But I feel better, and once again have "peace of mind."