Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default How many clamps?

On 3/26/13 4:30 PM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:48:21 -0500, -MIKE-
In the case of gluing *and* finish-nailing a face frame, I still contend
that the purpose of the nails is to act as clamps until the glue dries.
Norm used to mention this a lot on his show.

I always thought, maybe mistakenly that the glue was just to add some
extra holding power. And yes, I've read the articles stating that a
properly glued wood connection is superior strength to the wood
surrounding the joint.

Those articles are correct. And honestly, if the wood breaks before the
glue joint, isn't that stronger than it ever needs to be?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--