Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another design/materials Q.....

On Mar 26, 3:19*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:

fyi, the actual size of this particular slider is approx. 3/8 x 3/4, with a
1/8x1/8 rabbet on each side (so the captured sliding part is 1/4 x 3/4),
with a 4.5" L

Any class of materials I should specifically avoid?

Idears, opinions?

I suppose I could test various materials, by buying or making something of a
power hacksaw, and just let various materials reciprocate for a few days,
see what stuff looks like at the end. *Hopefully I won't have to go that
route, tho.
--
EA

MSC sell UHMW poly in rectangular rods 3/8 inch by 3/4 inch by five
feet long for $6.86 . The price is from an outdated catalog. So it
is lkely to be a bit more than that. But not too much more as I
think the raw materail is natural gas. MSC also sells UHMW wear
strips in various extruded shapes. They also sell teflon wear
strips and rectangular rods, but the UHMW poly is much cheaper. The
fact that they sell UHMW poly wear stripn ought to give you a clue
that UHMW poly wears well.

MSC also sells UHMW poly tape made by 3M. But you might not like the
prices unless you are going to use a bunch. The rolls are 36 yards
long.

Dan