Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default How many clamps?

On 3/25/2013 8:55 AM, woodchucker wrote:
Just meant to show that cauls can be simple and also used for other things.

So enlighten me here. I've seen cauls (pictures of them anyway) that
have a very slight curve on the surface that will touch the work. Your
picture has a much sharper curve at each end than I would have expected,
and I can't tell if the middle is curved or not.

My understanding is that the curve on the business edge is to provide
clamping pressure in the middle even though the clamps are only applied
to the ends. What is the pronounced curvature near the ends of your
cauls for?