Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam jim beam is offline

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

On 03/26/2013 06:07 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bimmer Owner wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 17:34:25 -0700, jim beam wrote:

buy a clamp-on current meter

I have a Fluke 75, so I'll have to see what clamp on DC current
probes fit it.

I don't think Fluke makes much in the way of current probes for DC with
appreciable sensitivity. The i1010 is sensitive enough for this sort of
job, but not for a lot of other things you might want. They do make some
fancy intelligent probes but they're all more expensive

way to understate - those things are insanely expensive. otoh, there's
almost no competing product, so they have the ability to leverage pricing.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=614-1090-ND

that's why i settled for the esi unit. not as good as the fluke, but
has similar sensitivity in a package robust enough for automotive use.

than just buying
a Fluke clamp meter like the 365.

That said, I have a cheapo Extech 380947 and it's not built like the Fluke
but it's sensitive enough to detect small ground leakage currents.
--scott

--
fact check required