Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default "Scientists link frozen spring to dramatic Arctic sea ice loss"

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:31:17 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 26/03/2013 11:12, Tim Watts wrote:

There's "climate change" and there're "fluctuations in weather
sometimes hitting extremes".

It is impossible to tell from any single incident, but if it keeps on
happening then I think you have to accept that the climate is changing.
When "hundred year floods" occur every couple of years I think you have
to pay attention to the risks of building new homes on flood plains.

But the 'hundred year floods' were predicted on the informayion available at the time. If recent floods are now
included in the data set, perhaps the 'hundred year floods' have become 'ten year floods' (or some other less
dramatic figure.

The vast majority of respectable meteorologists have long since agreed
that global warming is a real effect and that CO2 and other greenhouse
gasses are responsible for driving it.

In 2005, the Met Office published one of their brochures on what was then called Global Warming. In it was a
chart, showing 12 or 15 possible causes of temperature forcing mechanisms. Three were know to a 'high' level
of confidence, and a mere eight were classified as 'very little scientific knowledge'. Yet all the models predicted
the same terrible rise in global temperatures, which have since failed to come about. The models couldn't even
predict the past, without constant tweaking. The planet has stopped warming, and CO2 continues to rise. There
is therefore something else happening, that has nothing to do with that relationship.

There is a rearguard action by US coal, Exxon and it's deniers for hire
to prevent the general public hearing what scientists have to say. They
honed their disinformation skills working for big tobacco manufacturing
doubt to keep the suckers smoking. And it is a very effective tactic.

Oh, the Met Office shot themselves in the foot eight years ago, and I doubt they are in the pay of the deniers, as
you call them.

--
Terry Fields