Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone tried LED replacements for flourescent tubes?

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
It's very white, makes halogen look yellowish. Similar to comparing
xenon headlights with incandescent on cars - you think incandescent are
white until you see both together, e.g. on the motorway.

That depends on the colour temperature of the HID units. Some now have CT
close to halogen. Of course with those you may think they are halogen.

As others have said, the spectrum isn't wonderful. In a hotel room lit
by LED light recently I thought the light quality was very good - close
enough to halogen for me to have a squint at the fitting to see what was
there - but when I took out my vitamin C tablets, which are bright
orange in natural light, they were very washed out under LED light.

It made me think that some interestingly-coloured food could come out of
kitchens lit by LED.

Quite. It is rather obviously proving difficult to provide a continuous
spectrum LED at a sensible price while retaining efficiency. This may not
matter to some - but I'd find it very annoying for domestic use.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.