Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default Anyone tried LED replacements for flourescent tubes?

En el artículo ,
Dave N escribió:

Has anyone here had experience with using LED replacements for fluorescent
tubes?

No experience in a domestic environment but seeing them more and more
often in commercial premises, airports, hotels, etc.

What's the light quality from them like?

It's very white, makes halogen look yellowish. Similar to comparing
xenon headlights with incandescent on cars - you think incandescent are
white until you see both together, e.g. on the motorway.

As others have said, the spectrum isn't wonderful. In a hotel room lit
by LED light recently I thought the light quality was very good - close
enough to halogen for me to have a squint at the fitting to see what was
there - but when I took out my vitamin C tablets, which are bright
orange in natural light, they were very washed out under LED light.

It made me think that some interestingly-coloured food could come out of
kitchens lit by LED.

In particular, I notice the light
output seems to be directional

LEDs are directional by nature. A diffuser, as you mentioned, will
definitely help to, um, diffuse the light.

Recently I saw some fittings which has been retro-fitted with LED. They
were the sort that had metal reflectors above the tube to direct light
downward, and no diffuser. LED light is very harsh and not pleasant to
look at directly. The tubes had been fitted with the LEDs pointing
down; I'd wondered if it would have been better to install them pointing
up, so that he light was scattered off the reflector, indirect lighting
in other words.

Finally, all the LED tubes I've seen have been clear plastic. Wondering
if using opaque material would cause them to emit a more even light.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)