Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,alt.engineering.electrical
Charlie E. Charlie E. is offline

Default Lilfe in the slow (repair) lane.

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:56:15 -0700, DaveC wrote:

In the future, I expect things to become more and more complicated. I
also see devices, like printers, engaging in a dialog with the user
and with other devices, to determine what the user wants to do. It
then negotiates the parameters and settings automatically between
devices. Put the iPad and printer next to each other, yell "connect
me", and they will. Send the printer some data, and it's a fair
assumption that one wants it to power on in preparation for printing.
Don't do anything for a few minutes, and it's a fair assumption that
the printer should power down. AI (artificial intelligence) was the
big thing in the late 1970's, but where is it today?

Ok, I've had my rant.

[Jeff L.]

A YouTube'r I like to watch is mikeselectricstuff. He's a brilliant engineer
and is always reviewing and taking stuff apart.

His reviews -- more often than not -- end with this conclusion: the hardware
is excellent and the UI firmware/software/design is crap. He points out how
potentially fabulous this bit of kit could be if the UI was halfway
competent.

Here's a couple of good examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHZF...FcmCHyA& inde
x=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJv2iCieeeM

IMO, user interface is designed by people who probably wouldn't use the
product.

When I worked at Apple (tech writer, decades ago) we would do a draft of a
manual and then get a prospective customer -- "target audience" -- (someone
from HR or such in this example) and put them in a room with a new product,
in box, and let them go to it, videotaping the experience. The feedback is
what made Apple's documents receive awards on top of awards.

If companies (ANY manufacturer) would do this for their UI, most issues would
be resolved before the product hit the shelf. But being "a race to the
bottom", I don't hold much hope.

About a decade ago, we did this, but it was a dismal failure.

I worked with the installation group of a fairly popular circuit
simulation program, and someone had the bright idea to have the CEO
test out the installation...

A few hours later... ;-)

Charlie