Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cheap & dirty way to charge a 12v car battery? charger gone awol....

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 18:28:21 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

Or take the battery out and move it to within jump lead distance but
that means codes and possibly and engine management reset for the
donor car unless you have a small 12v SLA to keep the donor car alive
via the ciggy socket.

I've never heard of that before.

Which bit? The code (for the radio), engine management reset (goes to
default settings, needs a 100 miles or so to "relearn" the engine) or
using a 12 V SLA via the ciggy socket to keep the car alive.

... now that you've mentioned it I'll make sure that it isn't on
anything that I may own in the future. That kind of shonky "design" I
can do without! :-)

This side of the pond anything fairly recent (10 years or more...) will
suffer the radio code problem and probably the engine management reset.
How much you notice the former is variable. I can tell on mine, it feels
sluggish (well more so than normal...) you have press the "go" pedal a
bit further and even then it doesn't respond as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.