Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Electrical help. (Adding outlet to light switch box)

On Mar 25, 11:42*am, wrote:
The two connections i made were at the top only. The bottom terminals of the outlet had a sticker over them saying to only use these if you wanted another outlet or something "downstream" protected by the GFCI. So, on the outleft there are four screws, one left and right on the top, one left and right on the bottom. I only used the top pair. I think one white wire to the hot side and a "jumper" wire from the other side to one switch. (Of course the ground wire was also attached).

I will double check when I get home. This is from memory.

....Snip

Makes no sense to me. You can't run any receptacle, GFCI or standard,
with just a hot. You need a neutral to complete the circuit.

In your OP you said:

"Can I take these white wires off the switches, connect them to the
top and bottom "hot" terminal on the gfi outlet, then feed the
switches from both terminals on the other side of the gfi? When I did
this messing around with the switches, everything worked properly"

That tells me that you "did this" (connect them to the top and bottom
"hot" terminal on the gfi outlet) already, yet now you say that "The
two connections i made were at the top only". Do you see my
confusion?

If you have in fact only removed the hot from one switch, attached it
to the Line In Hot at the GFCI and connected a jumper from the Line In
Neutral of the GFCI to that same switch, then the other switch should
have nothing to do with any of this since it's not even in the
circuit.

I still fail to see how any of this can power the GFCI since either:
Case 1 - you have no Neutral or Case 2 - You have not described your
connections properly.

I suggest we stop discussing this until you know what you have and
know what you have tried. Right now, AFAICT, it just can't work the
way you've described it.