Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair
Bimmer Owner Bimmer Owner is offline

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:26:52 -0400, clare wrote:

I'd wager it 'can' be done - it's just going to take an hour or so
to get the leads in place.

Bet I can do it in less than half an hour - without the MaxiTester
and in about 5 or 10 minutes with it.

I'd be very happy to see pictures of the test leads in situ
because I personally tried (and succeeded) in getting the 40
amp blower motor fuse F76 out and back in, but I wouldn't
want to do it more than once in my life.

From memory, here's what I did:
.. I moved the passenger front seat as far back as I could
.. I lowered the passenger front seat back as far back as it goes
.. I removed the ignition key and disconnected the battery negative lead
.. I removed the panel from the bottom of the glovebox
.. I removed the Phillips screw and panel off to the passenger left kneecap
.. I lay upside down on the flattened passenger seat, head in the footwell
.. I located the general module III (GMIII)
.. With my arms bent wildly arms over my head, I disconnected harness connectors
.. The first enigmatic connector was the white connector X332
.. The next diabolical connector was the small black X253
.. And the last puzzling connector was the large black X254
.. By now, I could slightly see the yellow 40 & red 50 amp fuses F76 & F77
.. With a flathead 1/8" screwdriver, I lifted the yellow fuse F76 up & out
.. That took about an hour or three.
.. Putting the fuse back was even harder than removing it