Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Anyone tried LED replacements for flourescent tubes?

On 25/03/2013 14:29, dave wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:19:52 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Are we talking visually impaired here? I think you need to be extra careful,
as some of the led units have a far worse flicker than normal tubes, and in
some cases the colour temperature is so lumpy in the visible spectrum that
many VIPs complain of the light being grainy and causing poor contrast. Far
better I think to use a good make of electronic ballast with conventional
tubes then get specific task lighting in for those who need it.
Brian

How does one know the quailty of the elctronic ballast? If I buy a
fl.tube light from say B&Q is the fact it is "modern" some assurance
it is better than much older designs?

No, and in fact unless it explicitly states it contains an electronic
ballast, there is a fair chance it doesn't... You can buy them
separately for retrofitting though.

The fl.fitting in our kitchen is
30 years old :-)

Yours and all the others!