Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Design Q: O-rings as wipers? Fuzzy O-rings?

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 06:11:51 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

How does it cut?

Like butter on a saw. Like strings of spiderweb on a lathe!

It's important to take as heavy a cut as you can afford to without
springing the work out of the chuck. This, only because if you take
light cuts, you end up with a rat's nest of 'stringies' that will rapidly
interfere with the work. The heavy cut will produce a chip than can be
readily cleared.

Also, don't expect to take your last cut just moving swarf. All the
polyolefins have a tendency to spring away from the tool tip -- even if
it's razor-sharp of the correct rake. So you must take a deep enough cut
to overcome that resiliancy, and get the tool tip into the work and
cutting. Once in and cutting, the stuff cuts cleanly and easily.

Lloyd

Hmm. I'll have to try some. I have a possible application, too.

Thanks, Lloyd.

--
Ed Huntress