Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Design Q: O-rings as wipers? Fuzzy O-rings?

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:03:59 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 24, 5:06*pm, Ed Huntress wrote:

Haven't read ed's link yet, but does it have any "give" to it, is it
compressible at all?

I'll let Dan comment on that, since he has some. Its measured hardness
is pretty high, though, like typical thermoplastics: Shore D 80.

--
Ed Huntress

It has some give. Milk jugs are made of polyethelene, and UHMW poly
is similar. Maybe slightly harder , but not much harder. We used
UHMW poly tape on the missile to prevent fretting of the graphite
epoxy where the seals contact the missile skin.

Dan

I've only run my fingers over it and watched it perform as a bearing,
but the reports on its properties suggest it's pretty unusual stuff,
in terms of lubricity and other physical and mechanical properties.
How does it cut?

--
Ed Huntress