Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Design Q: O-rings as wipers? Fuzzy O-rings?

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:09:03 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:35:24 -0400, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Mar 24, 1:11 pm, Ed Huntress wrote:

A square on the end of your rod, made of UHMWP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-h...t_polyethylene

You shouldn't need to lubricate it.

--
Ed Huntress

That is exactly what I would do. You can get UHMW poly from either
MSC or Grainger. I got a little from MSC to have some around.
=============================================== ====

Haven't read ed's link yet, but does it have any "give" to it, is it
compressible at all?

I'll let Dan comment on that, since he has some. Its measured hardness
is pretty high, though, like typical thermoplastics: Shore D 80.

Hmmm, perty hard.

Yes, but as Dan knows, it's slippery as a greased pig -- slipperier,
actually. It makes a great unlubed bearing surface -- like Teflon on
steroids.

As long as you don't have a lot of interference, it shouldn't have any
trouble with roughness. It's pretty exceptional material. It won't
handle much heat, though: 180 deg. F for continuous duty.

Try it, if you can get your hands on a sample piece.

Hey Ed, is yer email workin?

Yup. Delete the "3" from the phony one. 'Just one "s" in the "huntres"
part.

--
Ed Huntress