Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Coal Bin Cleaner

nestork wrote:
'Jim[_46_ Wrote:
;3035047']Cinder block wall blackened from the coal. What is a good
cleaner that won't harm the wall?

I can't think of anything that would work on coal dust, other than a
vaccuum cleaner or heat from a heat gun to convert the coal into CO2.

Maybe try vaccuuming first, and see what that does.

Then, if you have an electric leaf blower, I'd try that next.

Then, I'd try heating the wall in a small area with a heat gun (or
propane torch) to coax the coal into becoming CO2.

And, ultimately, if nothing works well, you can buy a "block filler"
paint made specifically for painting concrete blocks. This is a thick
paint that fills the surface porosity of concrete blocks to make for a
smoother, more attractive surface.

[image: http://www.warrenpipe.com/hardware-s...ges/15953.jpg]

Bare block actually is a fair sound absorber. Filling in the holes makes
things a lot louder.

Greg