Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Extended warranty (EW)

On 3/22/2013 8:49 AM, CRNG wrote:
I've noticed EWs are often discussed here. It looks like the lame
stream media is finally getting a clue.

Don’t buy the extended warranty – ever
http://shopping.yahoo.com/blogs/digital-crave/don-t-buy-extended-warranty-ever-172056749.html;_ylt=Ak3vt8O.bvj7WoqY0HXTpMKs0NUE;_ ylu=X3oDMTJsM3NzZzU2BG1pdANIQ01PTCBvbiBhcnRpY2xlIH JpZ2h0IHJhaWwEcGtnA2lkLTMxMzQzMDcEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01l ZGlhQkNhcm91c2VsTWl4ZWRIQ00EdmVyAzc-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z

As many have said, appliance, TV, phone warranties etc. are a waste of
money. An extended warranty on a costly item, a new car for example may
be a good choice if you are the type that keeps it for a very long time.
I typically keep a vehicle until it can no longer be repaired
economically, typically 10 years or more, and trade or dispose of it
when repairs exceed blue book. So an extended 100,000 mile, 10 year
bumper to bumper warranty is worth the initial expenditure to me but
only if its a manufacturer's warranty. Third party warranties on
vehicles (or anything for that matter) are risky at best.

John