Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
tm wrote:

Are you sure it is not already a pulse width regulator? Those transistors
look like they are TO-220 packages, not TO-3.

I've seen 20W power resistors in TO-220 packages.

It does indeed look like a TO-220 from the pin spacing (since there are no
actual transistors in the photos, just spots from which they were removed).

But if it had been a PWM device, there would have been some filtering in
there, inductors and capacitors to keep the noise from getting into the
power lines. Designing clean and quiet PWM controllers is not quite as
trivial as some folks have made it out to be.

PWM has been around longer than SMT parts.

Maybe it is transients from the motor that are causing the failures.

This is possible, if it is the transistors that are failing. I don't see
any big protection diodes in there either.

If it's a RoHS soldering issue, though, I would not be surprised.
--scott