Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Extended warranty (EW)

CRNG wrote:
I've noticed EWs are often discussed here. . . .

Don't buy the extended warranty - ever

I usually do not buy the extra warranty coverage. My usual thinking is that
the manufacturer already offers a one-year (or more) warranty. So, in most
cases, if the product fails in the first year, I can get it replaced under
the manufacturer's warranty. After the first year, I think in terms of what
the actual depreciated value of the product is at that point. Sometimes,
the product is worth a lot less after a year or two -- especially items like
computers. And, after subtracting what I paid for the extended warranty, it
doesn't seem like there is too much value left that I would be actually
insuring.

I did buy extended warranty coverage on a new washer/dryer combo and a new
refrigerator that I put into a remodeled apartment that I rent out. I think
it was a 3-year deal, and it included parts and labor. My thinking was that
since it was in an apartment, if I had a problem or the tenants are careless
and it breaks, I won't have to worry about the replacement cost, labor, etc.
It's been about 3 years now, and I have had zero problems, so no need for
the warranty -- oh well.

Thirteen months ago, I bought an LG Olympus Q Straight Talk cell phone at
Wal-Mart for $179. I had a cheapo phone before that, so that seemed like a
lot of money to me. I decided to get the 18-month extended warranty which
cost me $39. The phone comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty for
defects etc.. The extended warranty only added 6 months to the
manufacturer's warranty. But the extended warranty also covers the
replacement of the phone for the whole 18 months if it gets damaged due to
accidental misuse -- gets wet, dropped and breaks, etc. I decided to get
the coverage. Nothing happened to the phone so far, so I now have 5 months
left on the $39 extended warranty coverage. Yesterday, I checked online at
straighttalk.com and I can buy the same model LG phone, reconditioned with a
1-year warranty, for $19.95 with free shipping -- oh well (again).