Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extended warranty (EW)

On Mar 23, 7:43*am, Robert wrote:
On Mar 22, 6:52 pm, wrote:

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:26:51 -0700, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:15:00 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

nestork wrote:
In the case of hot water heaters, the manufacturer will encourage the
plumbing companies that sell it's heaters to offer an extended
warranty.

That's because they know that it's seldom that anything goes wrong
with their heaters during that first three years, and so it's not
exactly a "gamble" to warranty the heater for that extra time.

I bought a mouse pad at Best Buy. The clerk offered me an extended warranty
for only a quarter.

I passed.

When a clerk ask if "would like" an EW, I say "maybe". Pull it out and
let me read it first. Folks behind me roll their eyes.

The clerk never has it for me read. Shucks.

* Why would a water heater extended warranty have anything to do with
the first 3 years when it comes with a 6 or even 9 year warranty?

The manufacturer's warranty usually only covers the item itself. The
labor to install/replace it is not covered. *Extended warranties
sometimes
cover both parts and labor. *One has to read it to know what it
actually covers. *The labor often costs more than the item. For
instant, the thermostat on the defrost coil of a refrigerator.......
The part is $8, the house call is $75, as an example.....- Hide quoted text -

Another classic trick is they will try to sell you the 3 yr
extended warranty on a product. It covers you for 3 yrs,
but that's counting from today. The product typically has
a one year warranty to begin with. So, people think they
are buying 3 years, but in reality, they are buying only 2.

I just thought of another place an extended warranty
makes sense. Dehumdifiers that get a lot of use. It seems
everyone agrees that these just don't last these days.
A friend of mine bought one a couple years ago and in
trying to negotiate the price, the sales manager wanted
to bundle in an extended warranty. I don't remember the
details, but bundled in, it was a good deal. The unit failed
during the warranty and they replaced it. He wound up
having to pay another $40, because that model was no
longer made and the ones they had were slightly larger.
That's another example of what happens when you go
to make a claim. But it was still a good deal, because the
new one would have cost 2.5 times what the extended
warranty plus the $40 cost. He just walked in with the old
one and walked out with a new one.