Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistor failures

On Mar 22, 7:42*pm, "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:
Have you got a link to these "common problems" you keep posting about?

"Bimmer Owner" wrote in message

Does anyone have insight into what is the root cause (and repair) of the
FSU failure that plagues almost every 1997 to 2003 BMW?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...entid=126060&d....

=========

Almost every BMW E39 (5-series) and E38 (7-series) and E46 (3-series)
has shorts that develop in the trunk wiring loom - all in the same spot!- Hide quoted text -

I don't have a link, but we had the blower resistor widget
go on an X5 here. And the aux cooling fan motor has gone
twice. There are plenty of threads online about many people having
those problems. Oh, and don't forget the
nice X5 feature where the cable that they use to hold up the
windows snaps, sending the window crashing down inside
the door, breaking it into a million pieces. Had that happen
twice too, once while the car was just sitting in the driveway.
Other time was driving down the highway.

Then there are their defective rubber parts. Like the boot on
the intake manifold that cracks in just a few years. Or the
CV joint boots. I've had lots of cars with CV boots and
only on the X5 do they fail every 20K miles. I've seen Honda CRVs
that went 200K miles with no failure.