Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default applying india ink over minwax stain?

wrote:

Update:
Ok I think I understand that I shouldn't use india ink. I will forget
about that.

What about if I mix 1:4 ratio of same minwax stain and oil based poly
and do one coat...especially in areas that are lighter, then apply
coat of oil based poly by itself on top. Would that work?

Possibly, if the vehicle in the stain is compatible with the poly. But why
not just apply more stain?

Also before doing that I was thinking of using a rag damped with
mineral spirits to lightly remove a little stain in one area that is
specifically way darker than the rest...

Does anyone think that process would turn out ok?

If the vehicle in the stain is oil (most likely) and the oil has cured,
mineral spirits won't dissolve it. Doing what you propose may physically
remove some stain from the surface just by abrasion. You can do the same
thing with any abrasive material...sand paper, sanding sponge, steel wool,
etc.

--

dadiOH

Check it out...