Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofann@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default WTB VTVM

On Mar 22, 8:58*pm, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:
"tm" wrote in message

wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I'm working on an old tube radio (Zenith) and could really use a VTVM. I
don't have much money at all. I'm looking for something very basic and
cheap. I had an old Heathkit but the meter/dial broke.

Thanks,
Gabe Read
Providence, RI

And the reason it needs to be a VTVM and not a $25 Radio Shack digital
multimeter is?

Because a VTVM can be much better at RF frequencies. Also, your old service
data gave alignment and measurement instuctions referencing a VTVM.

However, by the time you add in an RF probe (missing from most VTVM's you
see on eBay) on a good working VTVM, you could probably buy a decent working
100mHz 'scope instead.

Back in the day, a VTVM was way cheaper - most people had no hope of buying
a 100 meg 'scope.

MarkZ .

The little HF LCD display multimeters seem to have pretty high input
impedance, but I've never actually tried to measure it. Certainly
much higher than the old Simpson multimeters.