Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with clothes dryer not getting hot enough: How do youtest a sensor?

On Mar 22, 11:00*am, Amanda Ripanykhazova
wrote:
Thanks for that last paragraph Bobby, that was what I was looking for. I will try it.

Curiously, next to the sensor which is a long pointed device that extends into the vent shaft, there IS another flat round electrical device which looks like some kind of secondary sensor and which also has burned wires (or wire covers!) going to it. *But that isnt a commonly replaceable part. *I will have to check the spade terminals on that now.

How come no one believes that with this unit, even though there doesn't appear to be any sensor to tell when clothes are dry, *a small amount of water feeds into the unit while drying to help prevent wrinkling etc?

The reason people are having a hard time believing it is
because most of them have never seen a dryer that uses
water. This is indeed a feature of some modern high-end dryers,
where steam is used for that.
The idea is as you say to take wrinkles out. Now, I would
think that would only happen if you select a special steam
cycle. But some googling shows that apparently these
dryers may introduce steam at some point in the drying
cycle for wet clothes too.

If that water doesn't evap with the heat and get pumped away,
you would expect clothes to come out wetter than they went in?

Yes, with this type of dryer if the water doesn't turn to steam
because the heat doesn't work, then I could see that happening.

To me it seems obvious *that it is the sensor or the element? But that
is without applying any lateral thinking, which is why I came here.
(even if I have to accept that there will be a certain amount of
trolling coming from certain elements like VinnyB & GPSMan)

It could be a sensor, the element, the wiring, a control
board, relay, etc.... The way I fix things like that is to get
a circuit diagram. There is usually one of those in the unit
itself, typically pasted on the back or maybe on the back of
one of the main access panels, or sometimes just a folded
up sheet stuck inside behind a panel. With that and a test
meter I trace out the circuit to try to determine what is
not working and why.

More likely is the pump in this condenser unit: Not a whole lot evaps like in a normal vented dryer, everything is pumped out. I wonder if there is a chance that the pump isn't working or isn't working properly. Unfortunately I cant easily disconnect the drain so see what is being pumped out during the dry cycle.

I have no idea how that part of the dryer works, never
seen one.