Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SSE boss Ian Marchant warns of risk of "lights going out"

On Friday 22 March 2013 13:39 Jethro_uk wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:50:57 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Front page of Friday's Times apparently says we have only 2 days stock
of Gas at the moment, versus the 15 days we normally have...

And we're just heading into several more days of snow across the
country.

I haven't seen a gasometer/gas holder with any significant stored gas
for ages. Do they get used at all these days or just for "bare minimum"
storage?

Tim

I thought they were designed more to keep the grid at a constant
pressure ? They were busy dismantling them in the 90s - Both South Harrow
and Southall went - they used to have massive letters painted on them,
pointing to Northolt and Heathrow airports respectively.

To be honest, given the bomb-happy nature of every disgruntled citizen
nowadays, I'm rather glad there isn't a huge store of flammable gas[1] in
densely populated areas.

[1]I vaguely recall it would be unlikely to "explode" as we know it.

I thought most gas storage was done by pressurising the UK main "grid" gas
lines (not the street supply obviously).

Reading this on the web? See: