Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Curse you, digital calipers!

On 3/21/2013 10:24 PM, tdacon wrote:
Well, if anyone's still following this thread, my 4-inch dial caliper
from Hardwick's arrived today (Seattle's not far away), and it's a good
tool.

That little plastic one that I was mourning was a compact little piece
of work, and actually shirt-pocket-sized. This one is just a somewhat
shorter version of the usual sort of 6-inch capacity stainless steel
fractional dial caliper, so it's not as compact. It's about 7 1/2" long,
and fits an apron breast pocket pretty well but is a little too long for
a shirt pocket. Visually, it looks just like the 6" iGaging fractional
dial caliper that Rockler sells, but of course is a smaller length and
is un-branded.

But it'll do, it'll do. The fractional dial is on the outer ring, where
it belongs, and the usual major divisions are marked, with 1/64" minor
divisions.

So if you'd like to have something like that in your shop, or your
pocket, it's at http://www.ehardwicks.com, for $29.50, only a few bucks
more than the plastic 6" ones I see around the web.

Thanks for the feedback ... I've got it on the wish list.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net