Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

In article , jim beam wrote:
On 03/21/2013 07:23 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

*why* is it overheating?

because it's linear, retard. if you don't know what they means, ****
off until you find out.

Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
before the whole facility was taken down.

As long as you keep within the safe operating area of the semiconductors,
you're fine. If you exceed them, bad things happen. But we don't know
if the semiconductors are failing on these things, or if it's just
ordinary RoHS solder failures; the RoHS crap doesn't like thermal cycling
so well.
--scott