Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Problem with clothes dryer not getting hot enough: How do you test a sensor?

Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
Got a problem with a clothes dryer not working. It leaves clothes wetter
when it is finished than when it started! That is because it doesnt seem
to get hot enough and a certain amount of water feeds into the drum in
the normal course of drying.

There is a sensor which I assume tells the element how hot to get and the
element itself. The sensor usually dies in this machine and I Have had
to replace a few of them. I check the wires and when they start to look
burned, a replacement sensor is needed. When I get the sensor out, one
terminal usually looks completely burned.

However in the present case, I ordered a new sensor and then found that
the one in there LOOKS perfectly OK. The wires look burned but that seems
to be because they burned on some last replacement occasion. When I
pulled the actual wires off, the terminals look OK and the sensor looks OK.

How can I check the sensor to see if it is really OK or whether the
sensor has now failed in some other way? Alternatively how can I check
the terminals of the element itself to see if it that part which needs replacement?

First, there's no way a dryer leaves clothes wetter than when they started
unless you have a water source feeding into the dryer.

You said "...and a certain amount of water feeds into the drum in the
normal course of drying." Really? From where?

That said, very often the type of problem you described is caused by a
blockage in the exhaust ducts, either internal to the dryer or the exhaust
hose and/or vent.

Cleaning the lint trip every time is a great idea, but it doesn't prevent
lint from building up in other places. I would check the outside vent for
buildup and the exhaust hose itself. If that doesn't help, you'll have to
get to the innards and clean out the ductwork within the dryer itself.

BTDT...Often.