Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistor failures

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 22:54:59 +0000 (UTC), Bimmer Owner
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:03:45 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

If it's being blown by intermittent high current draws the
fuse could protect the $100 FSU.

That's an interesting idea. The FSU supposedly consumes the
most power when the blower motor is set to the LOW settings
(simply because it has to dissipate the power as heat), so,
we could prevent excess current by fusing... say with a 10A
fuse, the blower motor (which is said to consume 5 to 6 A).

So the crafty germans are using a high tech solid state resistor
instead of a PWM speed controller???

If I had one and it blew I think I'd be designing a PWM controller to
take it's place. Need to find out what kind of signal the controller
expects, but that shouldn't be too difficult.