Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default applying india ink over minwax stain?

On 3/21/2013 5:08 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:54:24 PM UTC-5, EXT wrote:
wrote in message

We have sanded our hardwood floors applied the minwax ebony oil based

stain and the results were not nearly as dark as we wanted and they were

uneven and blotchy, we do not want to resand.

I have been reading about india ink and was wondering if I could:

Apply India Ink over the first coat on minwax stain

Then apply 2 coats of semi-gloss floor poly

Would this work? If so, should I used oil or water based poly?

Another option I was considering was adding some of the ebony stain to the

poly, applying 1 coat and then applying 1 coat of just the pure poly.

What species of wood are you trying to stain? Maple is so hard that it does

not absorb stain readily, even when it does it is not deep, a scratch can

expose the almost white wood through your dark stain. Other woods will

absorb stains more or less depending on species. I think india ink would not

be a good idea for a floor. Too difficult to control, it is opaque not

transparent and it is water based, it won't like being applied over an oil

stain. Another coat of stain would be a lot easier.

They are mesquite floors.
We will try your idea of another coat of stain...should we try and only restain areas that are lighter? Or do you we just stain the whole uneven floor? What about our idea for adding some stain to first layer of poly?

YOU ARE STAINING MESQUITE FLOORS????????/?????????

Do you know what they would look like with a clear finish?

Normally I say do what you want but you have a premium wood floor
because of the way it looks naturally.