Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Default applying india ink over minwax stain?

wrote in message
We have sanded our hardwood floors applied the minwax ebony oil based
stain and the results were not nearly as dark as we wanted and they were
uneven and blotchy, we do not want to resand.

I have been reading about india ink and was wondering if I could:
Apply India Ink over the first coat on minwax stain
Then apply 2 coats of semi-gloss floor poly

Would this work? If so, should I used oil or water based poly?

Another option I was considering was adding some of the ebony stain to the
poly, applying 1 coat and then applying 1 coat of just the pure poly.

What species of wood are you trying to stain? Maple is so hard that it does
not absorb stain readily, even when it does it is not deep, a scratch can
expose the almost white wood through your dark stain. Other woods will
absorb stains more or less depending on species. I think india ink would not
be a good idea for a floor. Too difficult to control, it is opaque not
transparent and it is water based, it won't like being applied over an oil
stain. Another coat of stain would be a lot easier.