Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default MIG welding batteries?

bud-- wrote:

Capacitive-discharge gives you a limited and controlled energy to
the weld. How are you going to do that with MIG? Maybe put a 5A
fuse in the welding lead to control the time?

I guess I'll stop the weld when it seems done.

Lots of luck doing that welding on a NiCd.

??? What's the problem. The terminal on the battery is, I think, nickle. Why
would there be any unusual difficulty?

I don't think a 5A fuse would hold up long against a 90A current...

That is the point. The 5A fuse can pass a much larger current but will
open fast to limit the energy at the weld. It is a kludge to make a
spot welder.

Ah! I see. How about a 5A circuit breaker? Surely something dramatic would
happen when it sees 2,000A.