Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam jim beam is offline

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

On 03/21/2013 06:47 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
On 03/21/2013 06:55 AM, the will wrote:
Blower motor drawing too much amperage taking it out. Change the
blower motor anytime?

My thought as well. Have you measured current draw on a new blower
motor and compared it to one that is installed in a car where the FSU
has failed? that would tell you whether there's any merit to this idea
or not.

My inclination is to do exactly the same thing I do with the cooling system
issues: blame German engineers who seem to believe that their climate is
typical of the entire world.

that's not going to fix it though. and the germans sell a LOT of these
vehciles in the middle east - it's a good deal hotter there than here.
they know exactly what they're doing.

I don't see why it is so hard to unpot one of these things and repair them
directly, especially if it's a semiconductor failure. Put a bigger transistor
in there.

unpotting is a nightmare - it will take much less time to build your own
pwm controller. who knows, maybe you can switch the existing unit???!!!

--
fact check required