Charlie Self

Default Table saw reviews??

Ed Pawlowski writes:

When Chevy came out with the big block 348 ci in. engine, the hood
designation had two crossed flags above the "V" . I know a couple of guys
that put the emblems on a car with the straight six. Looked just like the
348 when you stood on the curb, but still ran like a 6 with Powerglide. I
think that is what we may have here. it may be a good basic contractor's
saw, but that is all it will be no matter how fancy the cabinet. Unless, of
course, you paint some flames on it.

I remember the big block 348. It wasn't much when it came out. Maybe it
transmogrified later, but in '58, it was junk compared to the small block
265/283/327. I know it was popular on short track racers by '60, but don't
recall how much winning it did.

Anyway, I think Sears aim here is to upgrade the cabinet saw. They're already
importing 2 "industrial" level saws at prices closer to Unisaw and Jet prices.
These 3 new saws seem to me to be a tap on hybrid models already put out by Jet
and DeWalt. Same HP, same basic configuration, with enclosed motors. Knocking a
saw for not equaling a Unisaw at twice the price seems a bit unrealistic.

As far as the fence goes, I'll be able to check that out in 2 weeks. From the
small photo, it looks as if it might be a true commercial Biese, but that
really is impossible to determine fromo that small a shot. Is that overhang 9"
or 13"? I can't tell at that angle. Is Biese making a special "commercial
version" for Sears? I don't know. I may not be able to find out, either. If TSA
doesn't confiscate it, I'll have a tape measure in my camera bag, too. I should
also be able to check overall quality, trunnion materials, whether or not the
pulleys are machined, type of belt, etc.
Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary