Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default compression gauge puzzler

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:42:16 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Ken Grunke" wrote in message

I am assuming there has to be a separate check valve INLINE between the
plug adapter and the gauge below the release valve. That is what I am
missing. It may be a fitting I had, but absent-mindedly misplaced.

Could be a spring and or check ball is missng or gunked up at the spark plug
fitting end...

--FWIW blowing into the end with your mouth probably won't produce enough
hose expansion to actuate a ball type check valve.

Sorry for jumping into the middle without having read the thread, but
there are two kinds of compression testers: the regular kind, which
have a button to activate the check-release valve; and leak-down
testers, which have no such valve.

I have both. They look almost the same. Perhaps, if Ken's tester
doesn't have a check valve, he has a leakdown tester. If so, it will
have a spark-plug-thread terminal end. Regular testers *may* have such
a thread. Mine just has a tapered rubber plug.

--
Ed Huntress