Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default MIG welding batteries?

On 3/20/2013 6:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:
I was on the verge of building a capacitive-discharge spot welder to join a
mess of NiCad batteries for cordless tools.

Then I got to wondering. And wondering. Whether a 90-amp MIG welder would
substitute? Seems like 0.030" wire is pretty close to a spot weld...

Anyone ever try this or something similar?

I guess I could experiment, but preliminary cautions and advice would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

Capacitive-discharge gives you a limited and controlled energy to the
weld. How are you going to do that with MIG? Maybe put a 5A fuse in the
welding lead to control the time?