Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Curse you, digital calipers!

On 3/19/13 9:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/19/2013 10:27 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 3/18/2013 12:32 PM, Tom Dacon wrote:
I used to have a nice little 4-inch plastic caliper, with both decimal
and fractional rings on the dial.

Not plastic but what you are looking for...

http://www.ptreeusa.com/layout_products.htm#1241

or

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...l-caliper.aspx

or

http://woodworker.com/6-fractional-d...su-149-426.asp

http://woodworker.com/5-slide-caliper-mssu-946-638.asp (my favorite)

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...per-92437.html

I took a look at the woodriver. They did not have good action, the HF
unit beat it out. The woodriver was rough to move, and the bezel had no
knurling and felt like soft aluminum.

The HF unit is a quality unit. At least mine is.

I love my HF digital dial calipers. They are dead nuts on accurate.
I am very suspect of any measuring devices (ok, any *thing,* really)
with the woodriver name (who else sees that and thinks, "wood driver?"
bad marketing) on it, after having checked several, maybe more than a
dozen different squares, rules, tapes, and assorted other devices and
found them to be as off as any HF tool I've ever tried.

NONE on the combination squares I tried were square. They were all off
by a good 16" per foot and more. And yes, I checked my reference square
and rechecked with a few other engineering squares.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--