Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can you run a stand alone ground wire from the panel to a junction box?

wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 19:16:49 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On 03/16/13 5:00 PM, Joe wrote:
On 03/16/2013 04:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

equipment ground. My friend would like to add that ground in the easiest
manner possible, which is to simply add a ground wire from the panel the
junction box. Can he do that?

Thanks!

If I was buying a house and saw **** wiring like that, I'd run like hell.

And really, if you can run a separate ground wire you can run new romex.

If you were buying a house, how would you have determined that this
situation existed?

Look in the basement for stray ground wires? Look in the entrance
panel for grounds entering separately from the other wires? Look in
the back of a box?

I took his "wiring like that" comment to be related to the existing
situation where the circuit leaving the junction box is grounded to the box
but there is no ground coming in. I was wondering how he would "see" that
situation.

If he was indeed talking about the external ground wire, that's different.
Of course, since it allowed by code, I wonder if he would still run away
from an otherwise acceptable house.