Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter saw Stand

Swingman wrote:
On 3/19/2013 6:57 AM, Bill wrote:

Since the heavy saw on a base is being supported by a structure of
bolts mounted in plywood, 8-12 of them seems prudent (to me), as
they will support a fair amount of weight and vibration.

Having lived for years with a shimmed miter saw installation (plastic
shims when they became available) on a shop built wooden stand, I
concur with your quest to come up with some type of metal,
screw/thread based, leveling/flushing mechanism.

If you can pull it off, you will find that to be a much more
preferable solution than shimming a miter saw, where being flush with
the wings can affect both the cut and safety, and all too often has
to be tweaked with every change in weather or movement.

Reading Karl's comment I am now wondering if I somehow lost track of the
conversation. Are you thinking about building a stand like Karl showed used
to have Bill? Somehow I had the notion that you were going down the road of
something less permanent. My comments to you might still be appropriate if
you are thinking of a rig like Karl's original stand, but I guess I'm
confused as to your direction.

As for movement - I have never had to adjust my stand or my saw. That might
be because of large differences in humidity between Houston and Syracuse,
which causes Karl problems that I don't see up here, or it could be because
Karl is much more critical of tolerances than I am. With the work he
produces, the latter could very well be the case.

--

-Mike-