Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Curse you, digital calipers!

On 3/19/2013 10:25 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote

It's why I like having a fractional caliper that can easily fit in a
pocket.

Reminds me of a very formative experience of mine many years ago.

While I was in my 20's, I started metalworking. I have already been
doing woodwork for a number of years. I used to go to this salvage
yard. It had a bit of everything. I would crawl through the boxes and
warehouses full of fascinating materials and scheme on how I could
convert them to something useful for my purposes. It took that junkyard
thing I learned growing up on the farm to a whole 'nother level. I
bought all kinds of things from them. Tools, teflon metal, plastics,
cable, pulleys, industrial plywood, paints, consumables and even some
kitchenware.

I always carried calipers to measure the thickness of anything I
bought. I always had a tape measure on my belt. I just thought it was
the way to do it. I had a question, one day, about some stock sitting
in a bin. I went over to the guy who works there and asked him about
the item in question. He answered my question and referred to me as a
"professional". I was shocked. I had only been working with metal for
a few months and certainly did not consider myself to be a professional
just yet. So I asked him why he called me a professional.

He gave me this little presentation, from a guy who works in the salvage
yard perspective, as to why he referred to me as a professional. "I see
these guys come in here al the time and buy things. A lot of times they
come back and complain. We are a salvage yard. This is recycled stuff.
The materials vary widely in hardness and thickness. You have to be
careful of what you buy. I have guys come in here and buy a $100,000
worth of stuff and return it because it wasn't the right thickness. I
see these guys in here in fancy suits. I don't trust them. Only about
one guy in twenty carries calipers. I never have any problem with those
guys. You come in here and measure everything. You are very careful.
You are not a big guy obviously. You don't buy that much. But
everything you do is careful and precise. I am sure your work is good.
I know I will not have any problems with you. And in my mind that makes
you a professional."

My chest swelled with pride. I never forgot that little talk he gave
me. I have calipers everywhere. In all the vehicles. In my office.
In the shop. And a tape measure laying along side of it. It just seemed
natural for me to verify the thickness of anything I build with. Be it
metal, wood. plastic or whatever. How can you possible expect to do a
good job joining different material together if you don't know their
exact size? As pointed out to me by a kind salvage yard guy, it is the
"professional" way to do things.

And there you go, Bubba.

"Attention to detail is the difference between mediocrity and supremacy"

A concept drilled into me in both growing up, and in training in the
service when lives counted on it, to the point it becomes pertinent to
everything you do. (Thanks, Dad.)

Scroll down to "Residential Construction" header on my website below

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net