Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Curse you, digital calipers!

"WW" wrote in
:

Tom... I ordered a digital depth gauge from Rockler. Would not turn on.
Battery checked OK. I returned it and they sent another one. Same problem.
One more time and I asked if they would test it before sending. I guess not,
it was dead. They did cover all shipping both ways and returned credit to my
card. But I no longer purchase any thing from them except HARD items,
(metal tools etc.) WW

I use one of these for a depth gauge in the shop:
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S448-Tr.../dp/B0002STSQM
No batteries to run down. Cheap, robust, measures accurately to 1/32", and allows estimation
of 1/64" increments -- plenty fine enough for woodworking -- and won't be damaged if dropped
on the concrete floor. No, no, I've never done anything that clumsy. Just speculating.