Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Miter saw Stand

Bill wrote:

Since the heavy saw on a base is being supported by a structure of
bolts mounted in plywood, 8-12 of them seems prudent (to me), as they
will support a fair amount of weight and vibration.

This is where the experiences of others can save you a bunch of worry and
unnecessary design time. There isn't a need for a double base. Your saw
has a plenty sturdy enough casting for a base. You can simply use the
mounting bolts that go through the base to make any adjustments. You
certainly can over design based on things that seem intuitive to you, but
we're trying to help you by telling you that those particular worries are
not valid.

And if, I mean when, anything changes (for instance if the wood sags a
little), I will be able to adjust height/level of the saw with
relative ease using nuts. Is there any reason to use other than
size 3/8" hex bolts (and the obvious washers and split washers) for
this purpose?

You aren't going to see sag if you build it properly. The weight is
distributed evenly across a farily wide area. Use 3/4" plywood and it won't
sag over the area that you're talking about. Look at the pictures that have
been posted. Karl and I have both posted pictures that disprove your
worries about sag. And mine - because it was never meant to be permanant,
was thrown together with MDF. It has not sagged at all, and still cuts just
like it did when I built it. You're worrying too much again Bill.

Well, with that "leveling issue" more or less worked out, I can start
thinking about the rest of the stand. I really like the design stage!
Admittedly, I'm far from the advanced level where I might consider
"abstract elements" such as BBQ grills in my design--maybe someday!

You've more than worked it out Bill - you've made it an issue that did not
exist.

--

-Mike-