Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Miter saw Stand

On 3/19/2013 6:34 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:

How about securing the saw to a square plywood base (4 bolts), then
using about 12 more bolts to secure that base say 1" above another
plywood base, using 3 nuts to accomplish this for the latter 12 (one
at the bottom securing the bolt to the lower base, and one above and
below the top base).

Anyone think this is a good idea? Here is a pic of one of the 12
(hex) bolts I mented along with the 2 plywood bases:

And... as someone mentioned (Jeff?), it's easier to build the stand and then
adjust the saw to fit in it - using a bolt and nut scheme like you're
currently thinking. That way you only need four bolts and nut combinations.

Since the heavy saw on a base is being supported by a structure of bolts
mounted in plywood, 8-12 of them seems prudent (to me), as they will
support a fair amount of weight and vibration.

And if, I mean when, anything changes (for instance if the wood sags a
little), I will be able to adjust height/level of the saw with relative
ease using nuts. Is there any reason to use other than size 3/8" hex
bolts (and the obvious washers and split washers) for this purpose?

Well, with that "leveling issue" more or less worked out, I can start
thinking about the rest of the stand. I really like the design stage!
Admittedly, I'm far from the advanced level where I might consider
"abstract elements" such as BBQ grills in my design--maybe someday! : )

More later!

Cheers,
Bill